What is Canadian Permanent Residence is the question of many people who are intending to live, work and settle in this country. The following article from VNIS Investment will help you answer questions about the concept of Canadian permanent residence as well as questions about applying for permanent residence.
What is Canadian Permanent Residence?
Canadian Permanent Resident (PR) is a term used to refer to foreigners who are allowed to reside in Canada legally. Canadian permanent residents are allowed to live permanently in this country but are not recognized as Canadian citizens.
In particular, permanent residents can stay outside of Canada for a certain period of time without losing their permanent residency status. If you return to Vietnam, you must not stay for more than 6 months because when you leave Canada for more than 6 months, you will lose the right to use your permanent resident card.
Permanent residents who meet the requirements of their stay here can apply for Canadian citizenship.
To become an official citizen of Canada (with Canadian citizenship), you need to be recognized as a permanent resident of Canada first.
Those who are temporarily living in Canada for a period of time to work or study will not be recognized as Canadian permanent residents. These subjects are usually international students, term workers…
Benefits of Canadian permanent resident card
Eligible persons will be granted a Canadian permanent resident card. This card is used to prove your permanent resident status in Canada. Canada Permanent Resident Card or PR Card is valid for up to 5 years.
To keep your permanent resident status, you need to have lived in Canada for at least 730 days within the last 5 years. When your permanent resident card expires, you just need to apply to renew it.
If you have a PR Card, you do not need to prepare a Visa when arriving in Canada.
Canadian permanent resident card gives you benefits such as:
- Enjoy social benefits as a Canadian citizen, free to live and work anywhere in Canada.
- Exempt or very easy to apply for visas to European countries, USA, UK, Australia…
- Permanent residents over the age of 65 who have lived in Canada for more than 10 years can receive up to CAD 1,800 per month.
- Receive unemployment insurance for up to 6 months if you have worked for at least 3 consecutive months before.
- Women are entitled to maternity benefits up to 12 months and 65% of salary when working before.
- Purchase house, car… with low interest rate.
- After getting your permanent residency for 1 year, permanent residents can sponsor relatives to live, study and work in Canada. It should be noted that relatives here are wives, children, parents of permanent residents.
- Children are free to study until the age of 18. At the same time, the cost of studying at university is also greatly discounted, up to only half of that of international students.
- In addition, children receive benefits of up to 6,700 CAD per month until the age of 17.
- Get public health insurance
- Can apply to apply for Canadian citizenship, if eligible, it will be approved
- Protected by Canadian law
On the contrary, you need to comply with the laws of the government where you live as well as the country of Canada.
In addition, Canadian permanent residents are not allowed to vote, stand for election and are not entitled to hold positions with high security requirements in Canada.
Requirements to apply for a Canadian PR Card
Possessing a permanent resident card in Canada helps foreigners receive a lot of incentives in terms of social security, insurance, study and work… But how to get a Canadian permanent resident card? Not everyone knows the process.
People who want to apply for a Canadian permanent resident card need to be in one of the following categories: entrepreneurs in the state, federal investors, skilled workers, unskilled workers, international students.
The following requirements should also be achieved:
- Have a post-secondary degree or have studied and lived in Canada
- At least 1 year of experience for skilled workers
- Have a stable full-time job in Canada
- Have friends and relatives living, studying and working in Canada
- Owning, managing and operating companies and businesses in Canada
- Have financial resources and assets (settlement funds) as required by the Canadian government.
If you already meet one of the above conditions, you can apply for a Canadian permanent resident card.
The accompanying documents that need to be submitted when applying for a Canadian permanent resident card include:
- be a permanent resident of Canada;
- be physically present in Canada;
- meet the residency requirement;
- not be under an effective removal order;
- not be a Canadian citizen; and.
- not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card.
The permanent resident card can then be mailed to you.
Please refer to this page: Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) – First application, replacement, renewal or to change gender identifier (IMM 5445) – Canada.ca for more information.
Above is information on the topic “What is Canadian permanent residence”. Canadian permanent resident card can bring you many useful benefits. If you have a need for permanent residence and settlement in Canada, contact VNIS Investment immediately for advice.
Currently, VNIS Investment has many immigration programs in Canada such as The Canada Start-up Visa Program, The Prince Edward Island PNP Program. These programs help Vietnamese people settle in Canada faster, simpler and easier. If you have a need to settle in Canada, immediately contact VNIS Investment for detailed support.